19 November 2008

Book Reading

Chad:

I love to read books. I love the knowledge gleaned from reading. Lately, I have read a lot of non-fiction books. I feel my time is better spent reading about things that actually occurred at one point. I have not had any interest in Harry Potter, Mormon Vampire books (Twilight), or others in the same category. I am sure they are well written, but there is just something within me that keeps from opening these books. I prefer to be inspired, like when you read about the soldiers from World War I and II era. (If you want a definition of hero, read about Easy Company from the 101st Airborne from WWII.)

Anyway, my reason for bringing up this topic is to talk about reading habits. Why does reading take over all other aspects of life for some people? Rebecca included. I understand that once in a while a book is so intense that you can't put it down...but every book? Rebecca reads cover to cover with few breaks and interruptions. There is also "few" interactions with the rest of her surroundings, from starving husband and kids to phone calls. A book does not have to be consumed in a matter of days. The words are permanent, they are not going anywhere, spread it out a little. I know you are going for the 52 books in 52 weeks thing, and I think that is cool, but aren't you at 90 now?



Rebecca:

Yeah, that was a little accusatory.

But guess what? I'm actually gonna agree with you on this one. Guitly as charged! Sorry about the neglect, but when I have a choice between a hot vampire and doing the dishes...well, you know which one I'm going to choose.

As for the type of books I prefer to read, there is a reason I prefer them. I read for entertainment. If a book doesn't interest methen I have no desire to read it. I like to be enlightened, but I don't like to be depressed. I like books that make me think, but I also like books that don't make me think too much. I definitely don't want to be bored. It's pretty subjective, I know, but aren't everybody's reading preferences?

9 comments:

Michelle Jensen said...

I have to agree with Rebecca. I read for entertainment also. I would rather a good interesting book than watching TV all day long. Jeff would probably say that I neglect him sometimes also to a book. But he finally got interested in Twilight. He was so mad the way it ended he bombarded me with 20 questions after reading it. If only I could get him interested in Harry Potter.

Dustan and Micayla said...

TWILIGHT...I had could not figure out what the big deal was...then I read it and ended up really liking it! And when I find a good book I seem to think about it all the time until I am done with it.

The Sumsions said...

Hmm, I fallin the middle on this one. I too HATE (and I know that is a strong word that is actually not allowed in my house) when my hubby starts reading and just cannot be bothered to have a conversation or do his chores because he can't put his book down. He reads both entertainment books and non-fiction but I don't really care. I'd rather he watch reruns of The Office with me so we can laugh together. Although I like to read occasionally, I don't read for hours on end, but on the other hand, I encourage my kids to read for hours at a time. Cory and I both read Twilight. Cory said he just had to see what all the fuss was about. I have to say I was disappointed. I liked them but not as much as others. However, I do agree with Rebecca that if I had to chose between reading about the hot vampire and doing dishes, reading definitely wins. Cory is still reading the fourth one. He didn't love the first three, but decided to stick it out and finish them. Chad, have you seen the series Band of Brothers? If not, we've got the whole series (like 6 DVDs) and they are awesome. It sounds like your books are probably similar to these movies, which are about Easy Company, WWII. If you're into that stuff you have probably already seen them, but if not, I'll lend you ours. I thought they were excellent.

Chad said...

I have watched Band Of Brothers at least 10 times! I also own it. Best miniseries ever. Thanks for the offer though. A lot of the books I have been reading are spinoff books from the series, written by those that were fortunate enough to survive.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I am with the She Says. I read to entertain. I have enough crap going on in my day, thinking, doing, you get the idea...so I read to be entertained. I will admit that my book of choice would be the 5th grade novel books. You can usually read them in a couple of hours and then you can do the dishes!

Chad, have you read the book by Major Dick Winters? He filled in the caps that Embrose left out. If I could ever surprise Jared with anything, it would be for him to meet Dick Winters.

Chad said...

Angie, I have read the three books by Major Dick Winters, which one are you referring to? I have also read every book written about them, by them, or for them. Rebecca is annoyed by it.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that Dick Winters wrote 3 books, now I know what to get the Jared boy for Christmas. But only if he is good.

Rebecca said...

Michelle- I wish Chad would let me read Twilight to him.

Angie- If ever there was a movie that could bring Chad to tears, Band of Brother's would be it. I confess that I really liked it too. But not as much as Chad. I think he has read every book that has to do with the 101st Airborne and Easy Company. And he makes fun of me for reading Harry Potter for the 4th time!

Anonymous said...

Rebecca, Jared is the same with anything from WWII, but I at least got him to cave in and read Harry Potter. He loved it!